If you are Fresh graduate from college and thinking about which career to choose? Software Development or Software Testing? Is Software Testing a good career choice? Is JMeter Certification is right for me? Does Testing have a future? Do Testers get decent Salary? Then let us assure you that getting a Jmeter Certification is a good career option.
The last decade has seen an amazing evolution of the Software Testing industry giving way to greener pastures. It is crucial to ensure delivery of a quality software product. Thus, the technicians involved in testing the product, choose various testing strategies. As this is required to ensure that the application operates smoothly and without any failures. This article on ‘How do I get a JMeter Certificate’ will provide in-depth knowledge about a JMeter Certification and also provide the preparatory guide for the same.
The demand for Performance Testing
Performance Testing regulates the performance of the system under real-life conditions. It examines how any system functions during normal and high loads. Also, it determines if a system, piece of software, or computing device can tolerate high loads given a high demand of end-users.
Subsequently, software products demand great quality all the time. In order to ensure the performance of any quality product, engineers concerned espouse various testing approaches such as functional, UI, security and database etc using the latest technologies available in the market.
Nowadays performance is an inevitable criterion, especially for web and mobile applications as the user strength is very huge for each application. Even if it is not to be demanded all the time. Therefore, to cope up with such circumstances of load, a handy tool is required and that’s where Apache JMeter comes into play.
Tools used for Performance Testing
Performance testing is vital in real-time, especially from a point of view of customer satisfaction. As a result, there are various performance testing tools available. These are as follows-
- Apache JMeter
JMeter is one of the most favoured tools for Performance Testing. This being said, let’s move on and understand all about JMeter and where can you get a JMeter Certification.
What is JMeter?
JMeter is an Apache product which is used as a performance testing tool for measuring and analysing the execution of a variety of services by concentrating on web applications. It is a portable testing framework primarily designed for web-based applications. JMeter is a useful unit testing tool for JDBC database connections, LDAP, JMS, HTTP, web services, FTP, OS native processes and generic TCP connections.
Not to mention, it is an open-source tool that can easily be customized by the off-site developers through custom plugins. JMeter can be used to test the performance of both types of web services like static and dynamic.
How to perform Testing using JMeter?
Following are the different steps performed by JMeter during testing-
- First of all, create a request and send to the server.
- Secondly, it receives the response from the server, collects them and visualizes those details in a chart or graph.
- Subsequently, It processes the response from the server.
- Lastly, it generates the test result in several formats such as text, XML, JSON so that the tester can analyze data.
Now let’s move ahead and understand the advantages of JMeter as well as elements of JMeter.
Advantages of JMeter
As JMeter is an advanced and updated tool, so, it’s obvious it has many advantages. Therefore, here is a list of JMeter advantages mentioned below-
- Open source license: JMeter is totally free and allows the developer to utilize the source code for the development.
- Friendly GUI: JMeter is highly easy to employ and doesn’t take much time to get familiar with.
- Platform independent: JMeter is a 100% pure Java desktop application. So, it can operate on multiple platforms.
- Full multithreading framework. JMeter provides a concurrent and simultaneous sampling of various different functions with the help of separate thread group.
- Visualize Test Result: Test result are easily being displayed in several formats such as chart, table, tree and log file.
- Easy installation: If you wish to install JMeter. Just copy and run the file to operate JMeter. No installation needed.
- Highly Extensible: JMeter also sustains visualization plugins that allow you to extend your testing.
- Multiple testing strategies: JMeter supports many testing strategies that include Load Testing, Distributed Testing, and Functional Testing.
- Simulation: Also, JMeter can simulate multiple users with concurrent threads and generate a heavy load against web application under test
- Support multi-protocol: Not only does the JMeter support web application testing but also measure database server performance.
- Record & Playback – Moreover, record the user activity on the browser and simulate them in a web application using JMeter
- Script Test: JMeter can be embedded with Bean Shell & Selenium for automated testing.
Elements of JMeter
The different constituent or modules of JMeter are called Elements. Each Element is fashioned to serve a specific purpose. Some of the main elements include-
- Thread Group – Thread Group is a compilation of threads. In the same vein, each thread denotes one user using the application under test. Also, it simulates one real user request to the server. The controls for a thread group also grant you to set the number of threads for each group.
- Samplers – JMeter sustains testing HTTP, FTP, JDBC and many more protocols. Thread Groups emulate user request to the server. Samplers assist the Thread Group to know which type of requests it needs to make.
- Listeners – Listeners reveal the results of the test execution. In addition, they can demonstrate results in a various format such as a tree, table, graph or log file.
- Configuration – Configuration Elements is helpful to set up defaults and variables. Further, these are later used by the sampler.
Now, that you understand all about JMeter, It’s time for you to get a JMeter Certificate. But before you get all pumped up, understand that JMeter certificate is offered by various Certification bodies. Therefore, let’s move on to the next section and choose the right certification Body to get JMeter Certificate.
JMeter Certification Bodies
Meanwhile, there is no specific certification for JMeter since it is an open-source testing tool. However, we are going to list a few Certification Bodies that provide excellent certification for JMeter.
Vskills – India’s largest certification body
Vskills is India’s largest Assessment Body which works on the principle to improve the scope for professional certification and academic testing mechanism. Moreover, Vskills Certified JMeter Tester adds a set of following to your profile –
- Relevance and Applicability
- Build confidence and Self-accomplishment
- Improves your marketability
- Boosts your salary
- Academic Recognition
Edureka offers an interactive online course and training program. It renders trending technologies for career growth.
Udemy considered being one of the renowned certification providers. They offer to learn and teaching online. It enhances and improves the quality of life through learning.
It is also another online learning platform with strict policies. It provides high quality convenient professional education.
After going through all the certifications, now let’s move forward and gather all the information regarding the content of the JMeter Certification.
JMeter Certification: Overview
Being in demand JMeter certifications have become an essential performance testing tool used in many top organizations. Moreover, when we talk about popularity, JMeter has surely raised the bar in the marketplace.
JMeter Certification tests the candidate’s ability to perform as per the company’s requirement. The certificate is a perfect match for all those who want to become a Certified JMeter Tester. Let’s give a quick look at the knowledge requirement for JMeter certification.
Skills and Knowledge Required
Every exam demands specific knowledge and skills. So, make sure before appearing for the JMeter Certification exam, you’re well equipped with the following skills-
- Test Plan
- Thread Group
- Work Bench
- Config Element
- Logic Controllers
Secondly, the naive developers must be trained on environment setup and should have the required knowledge of plugins according to their test project goal. Now,
You will be glad to know that JMeter course is available for both beginner and Professional Software Engineers that comes under the following category –
- First of all, Software developers
- Secondly, Test Engineers
- Subsequently, Quality Assurance Specialists
- Moreover, aspirants having a basic understanding of software testing
- Furthermore, software engineers, developers, software auditors, IT managers, QA and QC developers
- Lastly, engineers who want to understand JMeter, its IDE and API applications
Preparatory Guide to qualify the Certification
As mentioned earlier, the JMeter certificate is not hard to learn and use. However, learning anything new can be a bit tricky. But, not to worry. In this section, we’re going to discuss all the learning resources that will help you qualify the certification exam in the very first go.
So, without further due let’s start.
Review all the exam Objectives
Whenever you start with your preparation, remember and always make sure to review all the exam objectives. A sweeping Declaration for all- ‘knowledge and Skils are the most essential elements’. So, make sure to review all the exam objectives beforehand.
Don’t forget the JMeter Tutorials!
After reviewing all the exam objectives, makes sure to go through the JMeter tutorials. For your convenience, the internet is cluttered with online resources providing tutorials to facilitate your process of preparation. However, be aware of incorrect information. And, rely upon the trusted source.
Try reading a book! Shall we?
Your next step is going through books. Don’t start with the yawn. You have to agree books are a tremendously useful resource while preparing for the exam. Yes, in the age of the internet, books still haven’t lost their charm. Therefore, let’s have a look at some of the JMeter books that will be beneficial to you. And, we guarantee you’ll thanks us later. So, here’s a list.
- Apache JMeter A Complete Guide
- Performance Testing With JMeter
- Performance Testing with JMeter 3
Join A Community of JMeter Programmers
Joining a community or a study group or any other online forum will help ace your pace for qualifying the certification. And the moment you join a study group or any other community, you’ll definitely feel the difference in your preparation. With so many other candidates around you, going through the same journey as yours will push more adrenaline in your body. Thereby qualifying the exam in the very first go. Moreover,
it allows you to ask a question related to the topic you’re having difficulty with. Remember, if you manage to carve your time out a few minutes each day for connecting, you will complete your learning with latest and updated skill.
Practice makes you Certified!
Last but surely not least, once you are done with your preparation, you need to go through some practice tests in order to evaluate yourself. And, take it from us, self-evaluation definitely increases your chances of qualifying the exam than any other candidates. Needless to say! You may come across plenty of online resources while searching for a practice test. The point here is whichever source you use, your preparation should be thorough to get the right skill sets for the job. So, START PRACTICING NOW!
And, that marks the end of this preparatory guide. So, make sure to follow all the steps mentioned above and become a Certified JMeter Professional.
Now, is the part where you enjoy and have one and only one goal in your mind, i.e. grow more and eventually become the master of your field. And, once you’re successfully certified, you’ll be entitled to the following job roles.
- Firstly, JMeter Automation Test Analyst
- Secondly, JMeter Load Tester
- Additionally, JMeter QA Engineer
- JMeter Testing Tool Expert
- Automated Web Applications Tester
- JMeter IDE Consultant
- Further, JMeter Expert
- JMeter QA Developer
- Lastly, JMeter Testing Tool Auditor
Average Salary of a JMeter Tester
Once you are exposed to the top recruiters that might hire you, the next curiosity in your head would be the pay scale of a JMeter Tester. In general, the average salary of a JMeter Tester is 485k per year and the salaries range from 310K – 998K depending upon the knowledge and expertise you bring to the table.
From our point of view, we can definitely agree that JMeter is good for testing different scenarios such as load testing, functional testing, performance testing, regression testing, database server test, etc. The test can be performed for a web application for heavy load and concurrent user traffic. It gives a graphical evaluation of performance reports.
If you wish to build your career in the testing world, then JMeter is a great option to indulge in it. Further, passing the JMeter certification will advance your career the required boost as well as make your resume stand out. All you require is proper preparation and a positive mindset. So, make sure to go through the preparatory guide and excel as a Certified JMeter Professional.
A great career is just a certification away. So, practice and validate your skills to become a Certified JMeter Professional.