It’s tough to say whether or not is Jmeter easy to learn. Still, we can calculate it by understanding it completely.
JMeter is purely Java open-source software designed to load test functional behaviour and measure performance. Hence, you can utilize JMeter to analyze and measure the performance of web applications or a variety of services. Performance Testing literally means testing a web application against a heavy load, several and concurrent user traffic. Though, JMeter originally is used for testing Web Application or FTP application. While, nowadays it is used for a functional test, and database server test, and more.
You must have a clear objective in mind before you choose to learn Jmeter. This movement from the Center of Excellence to open-source load testing is forcing more and more developers to choose tools like JMeter over LoadRunner. Since JMeter has a comprehensive and user-friendly GUI it has become the talk of the town. Moreover, the parameters are easy to define and understand, scripting is simpler and clearer and adding and defining elements is more intuitive. In addition, one screen shows you everything you need – the script, the scenario and the analysis. So in order to have a clear understanding let’s take up an example.
Test Case for using JMeter
Let us suppose you want to know the efficiency of your webserver? Now you must think of the number of concurrent users a web server can handle. For instance, your senior asks you to start performance testing of some XYZ.com for a minimum of 100 users. Now think what exactly would you do?
It’s clearly not feasible to arrange 100 people with PC and good internet connectivity simultaneously to access the XYZ.com. Now think of the framework requirement when you test for 10000 users (which actually is a very small figure for top companies). Therefore, you need a tool like Jmeter that will simulate real-user behaviors and the performance/ load test your site.
Advantages of Jmeter
- The Open source license: JMeter is totally free, therefore, allows the developer to use the source code for the development
- Friendly GUI: JMeter is extremely user-friendly therefore easy to use and doesn’t take time to get familiar with it.
- Platform independent: Since JMeter is 100% pure Java desktop application. Therefore, it can run on multiple platforms
- Full multithreading framework. JMeter allows concurrent and simultaneous sampling of different functions by a separate strand group.
Indeed, there are many more advantages before you decide is JMeter easy to learn –
- Visualize Test Result: Test result can be exhibited in a different format such as chart, table, tree and log file
- Easy installation: No installation is required.
- Highly Extensible: You can write your own tests. JMeter also supports visualization plugins, therefore, allowing you to extend your testing
- Multiple testing strategies: JMeter supports many testing strategies such as Load Testing, Distributed Testing, and Functional Testing.
- Simulation: with concurrent strands JMeter can simulate multiple users, thus creating a heavy load against web application under test
- Support multi-protocol: Not just only supports web application testing but also database server performance is evaluated. All basic protocols such as- HTTP, JDBC, LDAP, JMS, FTP, and SOAP are supported by JMeter
- Record & Playback – Records the user activity on the browser and simulate them in a web application using JMeter
- Script Test: for automated testing Jmeter can be integrated with Bean Shell & Selenium.
How does JMeter work?
Let’s take a look at the different steps that JMeter performs during testing:
- Firstly it creates a request and sends it to the server.
- Secondly receives the response from the server, collects them and visualizes those details in a chart or graph.
- Thirdly processes the response from the server.
- Subsequently generates the test result in several formats such as text, XML, JSON so that the tester can analyze data.
Now you know the working of Jmeter, So let’s learn what all it takes to become a Jmeter tester.
In the current scenario, testing the performance of applications using the JMeter tool has already become a huge field. Therefore Instead of using thousands of people to test the web application manually, performance testers use JMeter to handle different types’ situations on the site. As for performance tester in your career, JMeter not only tests the bugs and error; also tests the faults in an application, verifies the infrastructure and identifies the defects related to a web application.
What are the Skills Required?
Jmeter is a tool that is simple to install and use. Still having a good grip over the concepts is always a win. Some of the most important technical skills for performance tester includes –
- Scripting is the Way to Go – Indeed, there are many performance testing tools on the market. Also having different functionalities and support various development languages is the key. That’s why some scripting skills are needed to build load tests.
- Knowledge of Scripting – Now, performance testing requires you to learn development languages, libraries, and frameworks which are used in building this software. Therefore you must also understand how Garbage Collection works, in case you work with a Java or .NET project.
- Understanding CSS and XPath Selectors – In order to extract or validate data from a response and build another request, CSS and XPath Selector are used widely. Therefore an understanding the core of CSS and XPath selectors is an add on.
- User Behavior Understanding – It is very important to understand your user and scenarios thoroughly, for this you need to get in touch with and learn more about the business user, product owners and even with people in marketing.
- Good Problem Solver – As a tester, you should be able to analyze the bottlenecks carefully, understand where the problem is and warn the responsible team about the issue.
You can also learn it on your own with online free resources. While there are certification courses available for this. The certification program is going to help you gain the required knowledge and polish your skills. There are a number of certification bodies: Udemy, Edureka, and Vskills- India’s largest certification body, etc.
Top certification Bodies
Vskills- India’s Largest Certification Body –Vskills is providing more than 300 courses under different domains. In this Jmeter Certification Course, you will learn all the required skills necessary to become a successful performance tester. Jmeter Professionals are in tremendously in demand & Companies specializing in websites and web-based application testing are constantly hiring knowledgeable professionals. Several web development and software organizations also need Jmeter professionals for performance testing projects.
Udemy- provides open online courses. With a variety of topics, it serves you with the required study content.
Edureka- provides comprehensive courses in cloud computing, Application development, and other technologies, etc.
What do you learn?
- Running & Configuring Jmeter
- How to build a test plan
- Elements of a Test Plan
- How to build a Web Test Plan( Basic to advanced)
- The way to build a database test
- How to build an FTP and an LDAP test
- Build a Webservice & JMS point to point test plan
- Building a monitor test
- Remote Testing
- Loading test web apps
- Functions & regular expressions
Software products demand excellent quality all the time. Engineers involved in testing the product normally adopt various testing approaches, in order to ensure delivery of a quality product, such as functional, UI, security and database, etc using the latest technologies available in the market.
JMeter growing Market Share
Generally, we tend to follow the most trending testing methodology. And forget to pay importance to verify whether the product meets expected or required performance. But unfortunately, we figure out this pitfall post-delivery of the product. Nowadays performance testing has become an inevitable part especially for web and mobile applications. As the user strength is very huge for each application. Even if it is not something expected all the time. We need a handy tool in order to cope up with such situations of load and that’s where Apache JMeter comes into the play.
Companies hiring JMeter Professionals
There are top companies like – Capgemini, Accenture, Maveric, GlobalLogic, and TriGent, etc. hiring Jmeter Professionals. You need to earn the required knowledge and experience in order to work for your dream company.
Average Salary for Jmeter Professionals
Earning a handsome amount is what you look for whenever starts your job search. But your salary figures totally depend on your performance during an interview. So make sure you prepare well and check all the required details about the job position.
Learning Resources for JMeter
If you want to learn JMeter sooner rather than later, then creating time-management habits will be beneficial for you. Therefore, here are a few learning resources that will surely work in your favor. Start Learning Now!
1. Join A Community of JMeter Programmers
First things first, join a community center of JMeter programmers. Doing so keeps you updated as well as helps you stay on track. The benefit of community centers results in the best positive outcome. Moreover, it allows you to ask a question related to the topic you’re having difficulty with. Remember, if you manage to carve your time out a few minutes each day for connecting, you will complete your learning with latest and updated skill.
2. Read JMeter Books
After that, you must refer to JMeter learning guides and books. Also, there are many guides written for general and specific applications of JMeter, which you can read to dwell deeper. In general, books are perfect for students who want to learn the real-world context for the skills. Therefore, let’s take a look at some of the JMeter books you can use as a reference –
- Apache JMeter A Complete Guide
- Performance Testing With Jmeter
- Master Apache JMeter – From Load Testing to DevOps
- Performance Testing with JMeter 3
3. Grab some good JMeter Tutorials
In addition, you can invest your time in free online tutorials. For your knowledge, the internet is filled with online resources providing tutorials to facilitate your process of preparation. You just have to find the right preparatory guide to facilitate your learning.
4.Practice! Practice! Practice!
Last but surely not least, once you are done with your preparation, you need to perform some practice tests in order to evaluate yourself. The only way to crack the exam is to practice until you get it right. Needless to say! You will come across plenty of online resources while searching for a practice test. The point here is whichever source you use, your preparation should be thorough to get the right skill sets for the job. So, START PRACTICING NOW!
To Wind up
Although it’s very much clear that learning JMeter isn’t rocket science. Still, your little efforts and dedication will land you to your desired platform. So, keep a track of the information and updates about the JMeter.
You can just enroll yourself for the certification course and learn the techniques and other required skills. Then appear for the exam and once you clear the exam you’ll become a Certified Jmeter Professional. So gear up and get ready to polish your skills. Keep a positive approach towards learning the skills and twist -Is JMeter easy to learn into yes JMeter is simple and easy to learn.
So, Get ready to become a Certified JMeter professional with hundreds of practice tests and learning material Now!