Do you have an interest in testing or probably want to become a tester? If yes, then getting JMeter certification will be the perfect option for you to enhance your career as a tester.
Apparently, there has been a massive evolution of the Software Testing industry over decades, to enhance the level of technology. However, it is equally important to have an effective performance of software application and thus, Software Testing provides the surety that the application runs without any failures. This, as a result, has increased the job roles of software testers making them more advantageous than their peer professionals. Considering the same, various performance testing certification came into the picture. Amongst them is Jmeter Certification, which is undoubtedly one of the most preferred tools for Performance Testing.
Therefore, in this article, we will be talking about the basics of JMeter and the pathway towards the JMeter certification. However, before we move ahead, let’s first understand more about JMeter.
JMeter is a testing tool used for measurement and analysis of the performance of different software services and products. However, JMeter is based on an integrated development environment (IDE) for checking quality with including debugging. And it also tests the software that works for a web-based environment. Moreover, it can also behave as a unit testing tool for JDBC database connections, LDAP, JMS, HTTP, web services, FTP including OS native processes and generic TCP connections. Below, there are some uses of JMeter.
- Firstly, it is for building ad hoc monitoring for some functional testing with simulating heavy load on a server by creating virtual coexisting users to the web servers.
- Secondly, it executes the performance testing, load testing and functional testing of web applications.
- Lastly, it is used for testing the performance of web services like static and dynamic.
Steps to Perform JMeter Testing
There are various steps performed by JMeter tester during the testing process. In general, this includes,
- Firstly, it creates a request and sends it to the server.
- After that, it receives a response from the server and collects them.
- Then, it visualizes those details in the form of a chart or graph.
- Further, it processes the response from the server.
- Lastly, it generates the test result in several formats like text, XML, JSON so that the tester can analyze data.
Now, coming on to the advantages of JMeter.
Advantages of JMeter
JMeter’s open-source software fills a big gap by making the testing process easy. The advantages of JMeter includes,
- Firstly, JMeter is open-source software. Therefore, the developer can use its source code to modify and customize it as per their requirement.
- Secondly, it is user-friendly that helps to create test plans and configure the elements.
- Moreover, it supports other non-functional tests like Stress Testing, Distributed Testing, Web service testing, etc by creating test plans.
- It includes robust documentation in which users can have a clear idea of the installation and configuration of the test settings and generating final reports.
- Also, JMeter allows users to record HTTP/HTTPS to create a Test plan using a recording feature.
- Lastly, it supports dashboard report generation through which it helps the user to understand performance test execution results.
JMeter Certification Overview
There are many certification bodies offering testing certification out there, but most importantly you must choose the most suitable one that helps to accelerate your career. So, being in demand JMeter certifications have become an essential performance testing tool that is used in many top organizations. Moreover, talking about popularity it is one of the most popular open-source systems for testing applications, and also a 100% Java scripted desktop application.
JMeter Certification examines the candidate’s ability to perform as per the company’s need and doing load testing of software applications. This certificate is for those who want to become a Certified JMeter Tester. In the next section, we will understand the knowledge required to become a JMeter tester.
JMeter Knowledge Requirement
- For JMeter testing, you should have knowledge of the JMeter ten basic components. These components of JMeter also refer as Elements. Moreover, each element is designed for a specific purpose. The components are,
- Secondly, the developers who are new in this must be trained on environment setup and should have the required knowledge of plugins according to their test project goal.
JMeter Target Audience
The JMeter course is for both beginner and Professional Software Engineers that comes under the following category –
- Firstly, Software developers.
- Secondly, Test Engineers.
- Thirdly, Quality Assurance Specialists.
- Aspirants having a basic knowledge of software testing.
- In addition, it also includes software engineers, developers, software auditors, IT managers, QA and QC developers.
- Lastly, engineers as well as individuals and professionals who want to understand JMeter, its IDE and API applications.
JMeter Course Outline
In general, the topics covered for JMeter are elaborated to help you during the preparation. Some of the topics that will help prepare step by step for the JMeter exam.
- This will help you learn about the history and the future of software testing.
- In this, you will learn about the requirements, java compiler and installation. Moreover, it also includes the process of running and configuring JMeter.
Building a Test Plan
- This will help you get knowledge about elements process that includes adding & removing and loading & saving elements.
- Moreover, you will learn how to configure tree elements, saving and running the test plans.
Building a Web Test Plan
- Firstly, in this, you will learn about adding users and default HTTP request properties.
- Secondly, you will also get knowledge of adding cookie support and listener to view the test results.
Building an Advanced Web Test Plan
- This will help in handling user sessions with URL Rewriting and how to use a header manager.
Building a Database Test Plan
- This will help you learn how to add Users, JDBC Requests and a Listener to store the test results.
Building an LDAP Test Plan
- This section will help you learn about how to add users, login-config element and LDAP request defaults.
You can have full access to the course outline for the JMeter exam here.
Pathway to get JMeter Certification
JMeter refers to the uppermost tools in the performance testing market with tons of features, protocol support, features, and useful extensions. To help you in learning JMeter there are few learning resources specified to excel –
Tutorials for the exam
There are various sources available that provide you beneficial JMeter testing tutorials that can help you a lot in understanding the exam concepts. Moreover, it will guide you step by step in understanding the various tools and techniques in the JMeter.
Joining Groups and Forums
This means that you can also register to some groups or communities and discussion forums where you can share your issues or queries with the experts. Similarly, there are some question-answers sites such as Quora, StackOverflow which will help you in the same.
JMeter Certification Courses
There are a number of certification providers that offer courses to become a Certified JMeter Tester with a self-paced or live trainer that can help you in learning JMeter up to intermediate level. Moreover, these will be beneficial in advancing your career. And, you will get hundreds of JMeter free practice test questions that will help you to evaluate your testing skills and knowledge. Most importantly, understand and keep this in mind that there are only a few certification providers that are widely accepted. So, make sure to choose wisely. Some of the top certification bodies include,
- Vskills – India’s Largest Certification Body
Coming on to the job prospects that includes job roles, salary structure, and top companies.
JMeter – Job Roles and Responsibilities
There are various responsibilities a JMeter performance tester performs. This includes,
- Firstly, it develops and executes performance test plans to ensure the delivery of quality software applications.
- Secondly, it is involved in test planning, writing test cases/scripts including test case automation and analysis of PERFORMANCE test results.
- Moreover, the tester also collects and analyzes the data for software process evaluation and improvements with integrating them into business processes.
- Lastly, it delivers quality process training to technical staff and then acts as an internal quality consultant to advise business or technical partners. Moreover, it also performs quality audits across the various IT functions to ensure quality standards.
After successful completion of the certification, you may entitle to fill up one of the following roles –
Top Companies for JMeter Tester
Nowadays, many organizations are hiring for performance testers. The top-level companies that hire and are looking for Certified JMeter Tester are,
We can see the average base salary of a performance tester using JMeter –
If you are into testing then JMeter will unquestionably be an easy feat for you. Also, anyone who is looking for a career in performance testing can easily excel in JMeter for professional advancement and skill enhancement. Moreover, many individuals as well as top organizations, consider JMeter testing as a golden opportunity. Further, this certification will help you enhance your career by providing many new opportunities. Remember that, you need to set your goal with a focused mindset. Therefore, start preparing to crack the exam.
Upgrade your JMeter skills by becoming a Certified JMeter Tester Now!