Although this cannot be said whether is JMeter easy or tough, as its totally a subjective question. Still here we have tried explaining all about JMeter. JMeter is an open source tool for load testing, which is very famous with enterprise and web-based applications. Load and performance testing are an upcoming field in software testing primarily because of mobile and web. Hence, a lots of job opportunities are coming up in top tier companies such as- TCS, Wipro etc.
What is JMeter?
First designed by Stefano Mazzocchi of the Apache Software Foundation. JMeter is a software that can be used to execute performance testing, load testing and functional testing of your web applications. JMeter can also counterfeit a heavy load on a server by creating tons of virtual concurrent users to web server.
Since JMeter is an open source application. Therefore, this means that you can download JMeter’s source code to analyse and modify it if you want.
Nowadays, JMeter has become one of the most popular testing tools in the world, beside Selenium and Load Runner.
Advantages of using JMeter
Now that you have clearly understood what JMeter is. So, let us look at some of the advantages of using JMeter. As there are tons of testing tools out there such as Load Runner, Selenium, and QTP. Then why do you need JMeter to do the performance testing? This is because JMeter has got features that other tools do not have.
Advantages at a Glance
- Firstly, open source license: JMeter is totally free, allows developer use the source code for the development
- Secondly friendly GUI: JMeter is extremely easy to use and doesn’t take time to get familiar with it
- Thirdly platform independent: JMeter is 100% pure Java desktop application. So it can run on multiple platforms
- Subsequently full multithreading framework. JMeter allows concurrent and simultaneous sampling of different functions by a separate thread group
- Next visualize Test Result: Test result can be displayed in a different format such as chart, table, tree and log file
- Also, easy installation: You just copy and run the *.bat file to run JMeter. No installation needed.
- Moreover, highly Extensible: You can write your own tests. JMeter also supports visualization plugins allow you to extend your testing
- Then, multiple testing strategy: JMeter supports many testing strategies such as Load Testing, Distributed Testing, and Functional Testing.
- In fine, simulation: JMeter can simulate multiple users with concurrent threads, create a heavy load against web application under test
- Following, support multi-protocol: JMeter does not only support web application testing but also evaluate database server performance. All basic protocols such as HTTP, JDBC, LDAP, SOAP, JMS, and FTP are supported by JMeter
- Above all, record & Playback – Record the user activity on the browser and simulate them in a web application using JMeter
- Last but not the least, script Test: JMeter can be integrated with Bean Shell & Selenium for automated testing.
The Skills Required
There are certain skills required to become a JMeter Tester. So, we have discussed them here for you.
Scripting is life
Basic Understanding of System Architecture
Since performance testing requires you to learn the development languages, libraries and Structures which are utilized in building the software. Therefore, you need to grasp the understanding of functioning of Garbage collection, in case you work with a java or. NET project.
As Memory, CPU and network bandwidths might be the root cause of a performance glitch in an application. So, hardware architecture and network layers are components need the analysis during a test.
CSS and XPath Selectors
During a project, most of the time, performance test engineers have to deal with HTTP requests and validate some data in its responses. Therefore, CSS and XPath Selector are used widely, just in order to extract or validate data from a response and build another request. So, in case if they don’t work, regular expressions have to be used to extract data. As test automation engineers already possess the required skills and have the necessary knowledge so they can be considered as candidates to work on a performance test project as.
Understanding the User Behaviour
As we’re very well aware that behaviour of users varies and often turn out to be totally unexpected. This is the reason performance test scripts might be different than the automation scripts. Because they need to reflect the user experience on your software.
Therefore, to understand the user behaviour and scenarios thoroughly one needs to get in touch with and learn more about the business users, people in marketing and product owners. As they will provide with necessary and relevant information about the user behaviour at the peak times, the workload and also the other useful details pieces.
For instance- it’s tough or next to impossible for a single software developer to reflect the behaviour of the user during a Black Friday, so the only thing the developer could help you in gathering is the statistics of the transactions took place.
Learning Resources for JMeter
So, after knowing all the features and benefits of JMeter, you must be feeling to make a shift in the career. If so, then here we have enlisted a few ways you can devote your time and gain the required knowledge. The first and fore-most important thing is the time management. Because if you’re able to manage your time then it’s surely going to be fruitful for you in the long run.
Communities are there
Yes, you read it correct, there social communities for JMeter programmers. So, join any or some as this will help you stay updated in the competition. There are discussions held in these communities and get answered all your questions and also connect with some experienced and senior programmers. Socialize more and become a part of the programming world.
Reading is the key
Refer to JMeter learning guides and books. Also, there are many guides written for general and specific applications of JMeter, which you can read to dwell deeper. In general, books are perfect for students who want to learn the real-world context for the skills. Therefore, let’s take a look at some of the JMeter books you can use as a reference –
- Apache JMeter A Complete Guide
- Master Apache JMeter – From Load Testing to DevOps
- Performance Testing with JMeter 3
There are Tutorials
In addition, you can invest your time in free online tutorials. For your knowledge, there are several tutorials available to facilitate your process of preparation. You just have to find the right preparatory guide to initiate your learning.
The most trending learning resource these days is the certification programme. There are several certification bodies offering you a variety of certifications under different domains. Some offer offline training while others are time saving offering online self-learning programmes. So now you got to find the most relevant and best certification body. To facilitate your learning programme.
Vskills- India’s Largest Certification Body –Vskills is providing more than 300 courses under different domains. In this JMeter Certification Course, you will learn all the required skills necessary to become a successful performance tester. JMeter Testers are in tremendously in demand & Companies specializing in websites and web-based application testing are constantly hiring knowledgeable testers. Several web development and software organizations also need JMeter professionals for performance testing projects.
What do you learn?
- Running & Configuring JMeter
- How to build a test plan
- Elements of a Test Plan
- How to build a Web Test Plan (Basic to advanced)
- The way to build a database test
- How to build an FTP and an LDAP test
- Build a Webservice & JMS point to point test plan
- Building a monitor test
- Remote Testing
- Loading test web apps
- Functions & regular expressions
Career with JMeter
So now wondering what to do with the knowledge of JMeter? If you learn JMeter you can perform testing of web applications. Thus, you can help your organization to make sure that the product is shippable and usable and scale-able. So, you will be in a situation where you are telling your product team about performance improvement which will results in more earnings. Here are some of the job roles enlisted you can expect after learning JMeter.
- Automation Tester
- Quality Analyst Manager
- Software Tester
- Software Testing Engineer
- Performance tester
- Senior Software Engineer
You cannot calculate the difficulty level of JMeter. As to put the world in its proper colour first you need to put your hands in colour. So, buckle up and get ready to become a Certified JMeter Professional. Enroll yourself today and learn all about “JMeter” there are no formalities required to take certification course.
Become a Certified JMeter Tester and prepare with the practice tests.