Every piece of advice in this case will seem autobiographical. Surely, you will face some difficulty if you have decided to learn Selenium on your own. It can be difficult but not impossible! But in simplest form learning Selenium on your own, requires you to learn it in a practical way and take small steps to learn it. Let us assist you and give a brief about learning Selenium on your own.
First of all, we are going, to begin with, some brief about Selenium itself. To begin, Selenium is the open-source Web UI automation examination tool. It promotes the automation of websites beyond different browsers and programming languages. Selenium presents a single interface that lets the candidate draft test scripts in programming languages like Ruby, NodeJS, PHP, Java, Perl, Python, and C#, etc. Importantly, it allows to record and playback for testing web applications and can operate multiple scripts across various browsers. Selenium testing is the process of doing testing practicing the Selenium device. All you have to do is go through this whole article, and then you’ll get a thorough understanding of the Selenium.
What is selenium and why it is used?
Selenium is the most popularly used freeware and open source automation tool. The benefits of Selenium for Test Automation are immense. More importantly, it enables to record and playback for testing web applications and can run multiple scripts across various browsers.
Now, let us consider the target audience suitable for Selenium. Selenium is a popular test framework suite for automating web browser testing. It is perfect for automation and those who need to discover automation using the Selenium WebDriver toolset. further, the main audiences are:
- Firstly, people with no test automation background who are beginning to automate in Selenium (or who require to get a job managing that)
- Secondly, people with any GUI test automation experience who are dissimilar to Selenium or commencing to automate in Selenium (or who aspire to get a job doing that)
- Also, people with unusual non-GUI test automation experts who are brand-new to Selenium and commencing to automate in Selenium (or who desire to get a job doing that)
Is Selenium good to learn?
Selenium is an open source tool, which means anybody can use it for free. Therefore, it idle for any organization to use Selenium to test their website or web application. Moreover, independent programmers can learn and practice automation testing using Selenium WebDriver. Let us now discuss some advantages of learning Selenium:
- Open-Source– The biggest power of Selenium is that it is a freeware and a compact tool. It has no upfront personal costs associated. The tool can be easily downloaded and the community-based assistance for it is freely available.
- Support across browsers– Selenium contributes assistance across multiple browsers, specifically, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Safari.
- Backs Operating Systems– Selenium can work and support multiple Operating Systems (OS) like Mac, Windows, Linux, and UNIX. With the Selenium suite of solutions, a tailor-made testing suite can be performed over any platform and then performed on another one.
- Help for programming languages and framework– Selenium desegregates with programming languages and numerous frameworks. For example, it can combine with ANT or Maven type of framework for source code accumulation. It can combine with Jenkins or Hudson for Continuous Integration (CI) and can even desegregate with other open-source tools to encourage other features.
- Loaded Selenium suites– Selenium is not just a unique tool or utility, it a leading package of several testing tools. It is considered as a Suite. Each tool is created to cater to distinctive testing obligations and demands of test environments.
- Constant updates– Selenium assistance is the community–based, which allows continuous updates and upgrades. These upgrades are immediately open and do not need specific training. This makes Selenium capable and cost-effective as well.
- Inspections across devices– Selenium Test Automation can be achieved for mobile web application mechanization on Android, iPhone, and Blackberry. This can assist in generating significant results and address problems on a constant basis.
- Reusability and Add-ons– Selenium Test Automation framework utilizes scripts that can be examined immediately across various browsers. Concurrently, it is plausible to perform multiple tests with Selenium, as it incorporates almost all features of practical measurement by implementing add-on tools that expand the range of testing.
- The efficiency of implementation– Selenium allows a user-friendly interface that supports the design and performs tests quickly and efficiently. Its open-source features prompt users to script their own developments that make them comfortable to develop, customized actions, and even manage at an advanced level.
Components of Selenium Suite – Learn Selenium
In order to learn the Selenium efficiently, the candidate should learn the Components of the Selenium Suite. The followings are the major components of Selenium Suite:
- The primary one is Selenium IDE, which implements an Integrated Development Environment and is the main tool in the Selenium. This is executed as a Firefox Add-On and you can say as a Chrome Extension. Furthermore, it supports recording, editing, and debugging of practical tests. Since it operates on the record and playback policy, it is the first-choice self-regulation tool for people.
- Additionally, Selenium IDE is a Chrome and Firefox plugin that can log ‘natural’ communications in the browser and create its code in programming languages like Java, C#, Python, and Ruby, also Selenese (Selenium’s private scripting language).
- Testers can allow ‘recording’ inside the IDE and ‘play out” the test situation on the browser. Then, the IDE can replay those communications and highlight any mistakes (during replay) in red.
- Keep in brain that the plugin is fast and helpful. The code produced is too disordered to be used in automation test scripts. So practice it for speedy prototyping, but for more severe cross-browser testing, we suggest Selenium WebDriver.
- Selenium WebDriver is the third factor that is the follower to Selenium RC. It receives commands and then conveys them to a browser. Moreover, it presents different drivers for distinctive browsers and also maintains repetitious programming languages. Also, it is fully object-oriented and manages all the significant browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, IE, Safari, etc.
- Further, it is also known as Selenium 2.0. The WebDriver executes test scripts by browser-specific drivers. It consists of:
- API– Application Programming Interface. It ports test scripts someone writes in Java, Ruby, Python, or C# to Selenese (Selenium’s personal scripting language), by bindings.
- Driver– Executable module that starts up a browser case and surrounds the test script. Browser-specific—for example, Google produces and manages Chromedriver for Selenium to sustain automation on Chromium/Chrome.
- Framework– It supports libraries for combination with natural or programming language test structures, like Selenium with Cucumber or Selenium with TestNG.
- Selenium Grid refers to a server that enables tests for practicing web browser instances operating on remote machines. Using this can make one server appear as the hub. In which, the inspections contact the hub for getting access to browser examples. Moreover, it also assists in the classified running of Selenium tests in parallel beyond multiple remote machines.
- Further, the Grid can decrease test runtime, It can be by performing multiple test scripts on any amount of remote devices at once. And, this is known as parallel testing.
- Also, Selenium Grid is an intelligent server that routes test commands to browser instances on remote devices. In addition, the two main components required for this (other than the test script from the client-side/tester) are:
- The ‘Hub’ (server):- It receives access requests from the WebDriver client. Routes JSON test leads to remote drivers on registered ‘nodes’.
- ‘Node’ (remote device): Contains a native OS, browsers, and remote WebDriver.
Selenium Job Opportunities and Market Demand
Learn Selenium- Now, let us jump to the Market demand of the Selenium professional. As you know, selenium is an open-source framework. It is utilized for automating tests ahead of different browsers and programs. According to BusinessWire, Selenium is the most prevalent web testing device which has a humongous 300 percent germination in job postings over the past three years. Tech analysis giant Gartner has also announced that Selenium has the most important adoption rate in open-source automation measurement tools. Further, modern developers and product organizations don’t have that sort of time to allow for testing, but they can’t set out exhaustive testing in a rush to deliver either. This is why they super-charge their testing with automation, by Selenium.
Let us tell you, there are not too numerous companies out there who would hire the candidate for a single power and then grant them a role based on that. Further, the candidate needs a skill set that incorporates selenium testing. Without selenium testing skills or any additional skill, possible, that may not be given preference.
So the average selenium pay in India is around 1,950,000 per annum. Moreover, the salary scale of selenium professionals comes from 1,000,000 per annum to 4,200,000 per annum. This difference in salary depends on many factors, such as job location, employer, knowledge, education, certifications, and others.
Now, that we have incorporated some important data on Selenium, let us move to the courses which you can take in order to learn the Selenium yourself.
About Certified Selenium Professional Certification
Learn Selenium- As we discussed, selenium is an open-source & one of the most well-known automation testing tools for web applications. Also, it can work with Chrome, Firefox, IE, Opera & can simulate a human-like behavior. Further, it can interact with different components of a web page & the functionalities of Selenium tests can quickly catch new as well as reappearing old bugs. Testing is one of the most influential and rewarding jobs. Automated Testing is above that. As you know, Selenium Professionals are in great demand. Companies specializing in websites and web-based application testing are constantly hiring knowledgeable professionals. Vskills has made this certification easy for you by providing online courses, tutorials, practice tests, etc.
In this certification, the candidate will Study & Learn
- Concepts of Test Automation for Web Application
- Also, Selenium WebDriver
- Further, Advanced WebDriver
- In addition, Test Design Considerations
- Additionally, Selenium Grid
- Lastly, Integrations with Selenium
Concern Areas: Certified Selenium Professional
Learn Selenium- The course structure of the Certified Selenium Professional exam is:
- Firstly, Software Testing Introduction
- Also, Web Development Basics
- Selenium Introduction
- Next, Selenium WebDriver
- Advanced WebDriver
- In addition, Test Design Considerations
- Further, User-Extensions
- Integrations with Selenium
- Finally, Miscellaneous
Learning Resources for Selenium Professional
Learn Selenium- Now that we have discussed the details for the Certified Selenium Professional exam. Let us get to the learning resources of the Certified Selenium Professional exam.
Vskills online course will help the candidate to learn how to build remarkably reliable and stable automation tests with Selenium WebDriver. Furthermore, the candidate also studies to design advanced and comfortable to manage test automation frameworks with browser factory, Page Object Models, and Selenium Grid from scratch. In this Selenium Training Course, you will learn all the necessary skills to become a successful automation tester. Click HERE!
Vskills Certified Selenium Professional offers candidates to prepare themselves with the online learning material for a lifetime. The e-learning bundled with hard copy material helps to improve and update the learning curve for superior and better opportunities.
Click Here- Sample Material
Vskills Online Tutorials
Certified Selenium Professional Online Tutorial enhances your knowledge and provides a depth understanding of the exam concepts. Additionally, they also cover exam details and policies. Nonetheless, these online tutorials provide and in-depth information related to the examination.
Try Practice Test
Practice tests are the one who ensures the candidate about their preparation. The practice test will help the candidates to acknowledge their weak areas so that they can work on them. We at Vskills also offer practice tests which are very helpful for the ones who are preparing.
It is very important that for learning Selenium you must make your own schedule and follow it diligently. A first, we would suggest you to divide you learning and plan the preparation into 4 weeks learning plan.
First Week – At first you should target a programming language like Java in your first week. Develop a study plan accordingly, keeping in mind all practical aspects.
Second Week – In the second week, focus on all the Selenium Webdriver commands and perform practical implementation and their application for demo sites. Focus on
- Learning installation and Setup of Selenium Webdriver.
- Learn about the locators like Id, Class Name, Name, Link Text, Partial Link Text, Xpath, Css Selector, Tag Name
- Use Webdriver Commands – with real time code examples.
Third Week – In the third week start learning TestNg which is a unit testing framework used along with Programming languages to control the execution flows, create test suites, set the priority of execution of test cases, report generation of test results.
Fourth Week – In the last wekk focus on learning Automation Frameworks developed to increase reusability of code and reduce maintenance cost and effort. Moreover, frameworks give us the freedom to integrate multiple tools and enhance our automation’s capability.