Content Writing is a field that has no boundaries or limitations. If you are someone who loves to play with words or loves to express your opinion and viewpoint, then this field is definitely for you. But this does not mean that content writing is only for a specified set of people who carry these skills. This domain is open for everyone, all you have to do is let your imagination run wild and then pen your thoughts down.
You just need to learn how to mould words and sentences that will help attract your reader. However, there are many ways through which you can get started with your career in content writing. The best way, to progress in this field, is learning by doing. However, you can participate in a lot of apprenticeship programs and can do a lot of internships. Or you can even site a blog or website of your own. Let us learn more about content writing and the opportunities that lie ahead.
Let us begin the journey of being a content writer.
What is content writing?
Content writing is an art and the person who excel at this art is successful in all online businesses. Content Writing professionals are in great demand. Companies specializing in content writing and website development are constantly hiring knowledgeable professionals. Various public and private companies also need content writing professional for managing their communications, web presence and other content writing needs.
It can include writing blog posts and articles, scripts for videos and podcasts, as well as content for specific platforms, such as tweetstorms on Twitter or text posts on Reddit. There are different strategies that different people use in order to attract their readers or to make their content more popular.
Obviously there is no set of prerequisites that you require to get started in this field. However, there are some skills that will help you to achieve success in a faster way than starting with absenteeism of these skills. These skills are listed below –
- Strong basics – It is very essential to have strong grammar and complete knowledge of the language that you have chosen to start writing into. Grammatical errors and poor formation of sentences can pull you back and can also hold your thoughts from going in the direction you want them to.
- Figure out your area of interest – This is the most important part. You need to figure out an area in which you are most interested into. This will help you to magnify your ideas and will also allow you to be a specialized writer in that field. Find out if its fashion, lifestyle, food or politics or what amazes you the most and compels you to pen down your thoughts and proudly present them to the world.
- Read more and strengthen your research base – It is very important for a content writer to read and have a strong research base. Reading helps you to diversify and a strong research base helps you to write from a vast point of view.
- Creativity – It is essential for a content writer to have lots and lots of creativity. You should definitely know how to attract your reader and moreover, how to make your reader to stick to your articles or pieces.
Having or developing these qualities will make your journey a whole lot easier. If you lack in them try developing or improving them by consistently working on yourself.
What is content writing about?
Well there is no domain in which content writers could not fit in. Be it marketing, technology, fashion, lifestyle and many more fields. People are so keen to read about every field and content writers are the source through which people can just unravel the mysteries cooking up into any domain. “Content” is a broad term and means the use of words to convey things to others- about your business, your idea, your project- simply anything.
As a content writer, you will be assigned ideas and topics (or be asked to come up on your own), on which you have to create the content. Such content can be both digital, such as content for websites, blogs, ads, banners, social media platforms, product description, e-books, whitepapers as well as offline, such as stories, news articles, presentations, projects, technical papers, research papers, etc.
But before you just pick up your instruments and start writing, let me tell you a good content piece is based on a fine balance of diligent research, wordplay, sound expertise, and of course, good vocabulary and grammar. Not just that, high-quality content is never created in the first go, but requires precise editing, rewording and fine-tuning to ensure that every single word is directly creating an impact on the reader.
Let us now move on to the main question of how can one learn about content writing?
Ways to learn content writing
There are many ways to get yourself into this domain. However, these ways will just get you started. The more you work, the more you will learn and will get better. Some ways through which you can learn are –
- Internship Programs – You can also do various internships or apprenticeship programs to gain experience in this field because at one point it becomes essential to have practical knowledge along with the theoretical knowledge for getting a job. you can also start by trying your hand at internships with organizations(online or offline) or contributing to columns for magazines and newspapers.
- Freelancing – Companies outsource their content related work to independent writers. You can get stared by taking these project works and this will help you to establish your goodwill and brand as well.
- Blogging – Setting up your own blog is free, and you don’t need any qualifications also, you can write at your own speed. You require only a writing style and voice that resonates well with your target audience. So it’s a win-win situation.
- Getting a degree – You can get a degree in mass media and communication which will help you to work on this prospect of yours. You can get an undergraduate degree right after completing your class 12th. You can begin your career in this field through this and after getting started, you will be promoted to the position of a manager after some time.
- Certification courses – Well, these are the best way to learn about content writing. This is because they help you capture all the details in a short span of time. You can take certification courses from verifies sites as Vskills, Coursera, Udemy and many more. The certifications have emerged as real currency of 21st century which can be used to secure a real job. Many companies hire the certified candidates.
Let us look at the details of certification offered by Vskills and some other resources offered by VSkills which can help you to learn in best possible way.
Certified Content Writer
Content Writing professionals are in great demand. The certification tests the candidates on various areas in content writing which include basic knowledge of annotations, language grammar and style, nuances and techniques of writing. Whether you are a blogger or designer or a digital marketer, good content writing can always leverage your career.
- Duration: 60 minutes
- No. of questions: 50
- Maximum marks: 50, Passing marks: 25 (50%).
- There is NO negative marking in this module.
- Mode: Online exam.
Benefits of Certification
- Firstly, Government certification
- Also, Online E-Learning
- In addition, Certification valued and approved by Industry
- furthermore, tagged as ‘Vskills Certified’ On Monsterindia.com
- Moreover, Get tagged as ‘Vskills Certified’ On Shine.com
The course will have following modules which will help you to learn properly –
1. Understanding the Lines Within Guidebook for a successful career through Content Writing
2. Painting Cyber With Words The ingenious work of thoughtful minds and dexterous hands
2.1 Content Writers- In the Bigger Sense
3. A Step Ahead Make Yourself Indispensable By Diversifying
3.1 Important Annotations
4. Know Your Content When The Wordy Tide Gushes In
4.1 DIY of Becoming A Content Writer
4.2 Types of Contents Available In the Industry
4.3 Be Ready For The Question And Answer
5. Know Yourself. Am I The Chosen One?! Gift of Gab is All about Techniques Learnt
5.1 What do you need?
6. Psst! Newcomers! Some Cool Tips… Time To Know Your Trade. Welcome To The Bandwagon
6.1 Essential Models
6.2 Writing Tips
7. You are a Content Writer- Now What? Undergo a Self-Discovery Trip to Know More
7.1 Job Avenues in Industry
8.1 How a Content writer is different from a writer’s stereotype.
Vskills also provide online tutorials and free practice tests which can help you to grasp concepts easily. Let us have a look at them too.
These Tutorials, trainings are prepared by the experts in the subject matter. You can refer tutorials here, these tutorials provide with quality content coupled with test series. You must definitely try others of the sites too which also have good material.
Practice is the only way out to pass the exam with a good score. This will help finding your loopholes and will help to identify your weak areas. You will find the parts that you need to work more on and the parts that are fully prepared from the exam point of view. This is the most important part of preparation. Try a free practice test now!
Let us now look at the market demand and average salary of a content writer.
Market demand and Average Salary
Content writing as a career option offers huge opportunities and the demand for especially content is growing in the market. Today, you can see many full-fledged profession with firms dedicated exclusively to offering content solutions to clients. Certified candidates may find job opportunities in various MNC’s like Tata Consultancy Services Ltd, HCL, Motherson Sumi Infotech Design Ltd., Randstad India Limited, Shiksha.com, Naukri.com
An entry-level Content Writer with less than 1-year experience can expect to earn an average total compensation (includes tips, bonus, and overtime pay) of ₹216,734 based on 522 salaries. An early career Content Writer with 1-4 years of experience earns an average total compensation of ₹293,818 based on 1,490 salaries. A mid-career Content Writer with 5-9 years of experience earns an average total compensation of ₹415,877.
Full time jobs in Content Writing
Content writing is one of the trending jobs. Many MNCs hire content writers. Some career opportunities available in India and abroad are:
- Content Creators/ Developers
- Content Strategists
- SEO Content Writers
- Brand Journalists
- Social Media Specialists
- Curriculum Designer
- Instructional Designers
- Academic Writers or Researchers
- Technical Writers
- Subject Matter Experts
- Video Content Creators
Some tips to improve your content writing
You can improve your skills by following ways –
Write Like It’s Your Job – If you want to get better at something, you have to practice – and writing is no exception! Always try to pen down your honest thoughts and practice as much as possible by writing even the small pieces.
Always go through your work – Editing is a tough skill to learn for beginner writers, because they place immense value on the time and effort they put into writing in the first place. However, a lot of writing is actually rewriting, and this is where the cold, hard eye of an editor will serve you well.
Always speak your mind – Most content on the web is bland and dreadfully boring. This is because far too many bloggers focus on regurgitating the same news as everybody else without bothering to add their own opinions. So, always try to open up and speak your mind.
Write Original Content – It’s your reputation. Every post with your name on it should be original. That probably sounds crazy, with all the tens of thousands of people writing about the same subjects, but it’s easier than it seems. Every talented writer can bring a unique voice, different perspective or new light to an overworked subject.
Hurry up and become a certified content writer by gaining amazing content writing skills. Start preparing now!