E-learning , simply refers to learning over internet.It stands for electronic learning that is a non classroom method of education delivery with the use of computers.e learning is essentially the network enabled transfer of skills and information. E-learning applications and processes include Web-based learning, computer-based learning, virtual classrooms and digital collaboration. Content is delivered via the Internet, intranet/extranet, audio or video tape, satellite TV, and CD-ROM.
Let’s take a brief look on what the advantages of e learning are!!
- Availability of more reliable and cheaper means of learning.
- Learners chose what, when and where they want to learn. They are not constrained by the arrangements made by the traditional timetables, schedules and curricula.
- No teachers present to control your work on the spot. Learning is enjoyable and stress free.
- Distance Learning gives equal chances for all learners irrespective of background or status.
- Internet is provider of diverse learning styles and authentic material which facilitates the process of learning.
- Learners may have the option to select and opt the learning material that meets their intellect and understanding.
- Self paced learning modules provide learners to complete their study at their own pace.
- There is a flexibility to join discussions in a bulletin board threaded discussion areas at any hour and also to connect with their mates in the interactive chat rooms.
- It leads to development of computer and internet skills that are transferrable in other facets of life too.
- Successfully completing online courses develops a sense of self knowledge and self confidence that encourages the students to take further responsibility of their learning.
- Development of a conducive environment that is suitable for learning.
- It helps to exploit the available resources fully.
- Pre services, in services and post services training and development programs are involved that strengthen effective use of the material studied.
Thus, we now know that the concept of e learning has completely changed the conventional scenario of learning. It has globalised the learning methodologies and broken all boundaries to take education to every nook and corner of the world!!!