Test automation is the use of software to control the execution of tests, the comparison of actual outcomes to predicted outcomes, the setting up of test preconditions, and other test control and test reporting functions. Commonly, test automation involves automating a manual process already in place that uses a formalized testing process.
The principle of automated testing is that there is a program (which could be a job stream) that runs the program being tested, feeding it the proper input, and checking the output against the output that was expected. Once the test suite is written, no human intervention is needed, either to run the program or to look to see if it worked; the test suite does all that, and somehow indicates (say, by a :TELL message and a results file) whether the program's output was as
expected. We, for instance, have over two hundred test suites, all of which can be run overnight by executing one job stream submission command; after they run, another command can show which test suites succeeded and which failed.
Open Source GUI testing tools
- Cobra - WinLDTP Windows version of Linux Desktop Testing Project by VMware
- CubicTest is a graphical Eclipse plug-in for writing Selenium and Watir tests.
- Dogtail by Red Hat
- Dojo Objective Harness is a Web UI testing framework from Dojo, similar to Selenium.
- Linux Desktop Testing Project by freedesktop.org
- Maveryx is an automated functional testing, regression testing, GUI testing and data-driven testing tool.
- QAliber by QAlibers, free open source for testing applications and web over windows OS
- Selenium for Web UI testing
- Sikuli for testing any GUI based upon screenshots
- SWTBot functional testing of SWT and Eclipse based applications
- Tellurium Automated Testing Framework (runs on top of Selenium).
- Robot Framework via Selenium, Sikuli and other Libraries
- Watir browser driver for web UI testing
- Xnee Recorder and replayer for X Window System
Proprietary GUI testing tools
- AutoIt Microsoft Windows GUI Testing. Free of charge but not open source.
- eggPlant by TestPlant Ltd
- froglogic's Squish, object-based cross-platform, cross-GUI-technology testing
- GUIdancer by Bredex, for Java (Swing, RCP/SWT, GEF) and HTML
- HP QuickTest Professional by Hewlett-Packard (formerly by Mercury Interactive)
- HP WinRunner by Hewlett-Packard (formerly by Mercury Interactive)
- IBM Rational Functional Tester by IBM
- IcuTest GUI unit testing for WPF
- Infragistics TestAdvantage
- QF-Test by Quality First Software, for Java/Swing, Eclipse/SWT and HTML only
- RIATest for Flex
- SilkTest by Micro Focus International (formerly by Segue Software then Borland)
- Soatest (absorbed WebKing starting in version 6.0) by Parasoft
- Test Automation FX Windows UI testing with Visual Studio
- TestComplete by SmartBear Software
- Testing Anywhere
- TestPartner by Micro Focus
- TOSCA Testsuite by TRICENTIS Technology & Consulting
Telerik Test Studio by Telerik