In horizontal filling, documents are placed in a horizontal position, one on the top of another in order of date and the latest document is kept on the top. The best example of horizontal filing is flat files and arch lever file. Horizontal filing has the following advantages:
- This system of filing is simple and any one can understand this easily.
- The papers are kept in order in which they have been filed and these letters are punched and put through a metal hinge so that it cannot be misplaced.
- This system facilitates speedy reference of letters because here letters are placed according to dates of receipts.
- This system requires less space because the files are kept one over the other.
- This method is economical to operate.