Etiquettes of using Elevators or Escalators
- Stay to the right to stand, and walk to the left to pass. This rule applies to all escalators, whether in department stores, shopping malls, or subways.
- Don't stand directly behind the next person; skip at least one step so that when you exit there will be room for the both of you.
- Always hold on to the rail in case of sudden stops.
- If you have shopping bags, they go directly in front of you to allow others to pass to the left.
- Carts and strollers are not allowed on escalators. Take the elevator instead.
- Never stop at either end of an escalator. You will be a moving target and cause accidents.
- Wait for passengers to exit before you enter.
- Step aside or step out to let people in the rear exit.
- If you are going to a lower floor, stand toward the front.
- If you are going to the top floor, move all the way to the back.
- In either case, if someone needs to exit, be prepared to step aside or step out when needed.
- Hold the door open for others and offer to push their floor button.
- Men may leave their hat on in elevators.
- Avoid cell phone conversations and eating or drinking.
- In a crowded elevator, which we have all experienced, use patience. The ride is short.