Tips to manage computer files better
- Use Documents It's advantageous to take advantage of the Documents feature, which is called My Documents in Windows XP.
- Adopt consistent methods for file and folder naming. When learning how to manage files and folders, it is important that you develop a naming scheme for the kinds of files you create most often and then stick to it. To change an existing file or folder name, right-click the name in the folder structure. Click Rename, and then type the new name.
- Keep names short. Even though you can use long file names in Windows, you should not necessarily do so. Long file names can be harder to read.
- Separate ongoing and completed work.
- Store like with like.
- Avoid large folder structures.
- Use shortcuts and shortcut links instead of multiple copies.
- Quickly get to the items you use every day.
- Consider storing documents online.