Install Upgrade or Remove Memory
Removing or installing memory
Determining where your memory is located
Memory is installed inside of the memory module compartment, which is located on the bottom of the computer on most notebook PCs. Some notebooks are designed with the memory module compartment under the keyboard. If the memory module compartment for your particular notebook is located under the keyboard.
Warning: The internal components of laptop can be warm. If you have been using laptop , wait ten minutes after shutting down the computer to let the internal components cool before continuing.
Steps for memory assembly
- Verify the computer is turned off, not simply in sleep or hibernate mode.
- Disconnect the A/C power adapter.
- Turn the notebook over and place it on a firm surface.
- Remove the battery.
- Use a Phillips screwdriver to remove the cover on the memory module compartment.
- With the cover removed, and before you touch the memory, ground yourself to discharge any static electricity.
NOTE:To ground yourself, and discharge any static electricity, place one hand on the case of the computer and touch the other hand to a metal surface or grounded object, such as the metal part of a lamp.
- To release the memory, use a small wooden tool, or fingernail, to spread the clips holding the ends of the memory in place.
- One side of the memory will rise when the clips are released.
- Remove the memory and place it in an anti-static bag.
- Remove the new memory from the protective anti-static bag and hold the memory by the ends.
- Place the gold contacts into the connector (bracket) and gently, but firmly, press the memory into place. The clips will click when the memory is properly seated.
- Replace the cover and tighten the restraining screw.
- Replace the battery and A/C power.
- Turn on the computer and allow it to reconfigure and recognize the additional memory and improve performance.