A paragraph is a collection of related sentences dealing with a single topic.
Its purpose is to for the creation of understandable and coherent paragraphs. Good paragraphing also greatly assists your readers in following a piece of writing.
Some Rules to follow :
- Keep One Idea to One Paragraph
- Unity - The entire paragraph should concern itself with a single focus.
- Coherence - The paragraph should be easily understandable.
- Logical bridges - The same idea of a topic is carried over from sentence to sentence
- Key words can be repeated in several sentences
- Synonymous words can be repeated in several sentences
- Pronouns can refer to nouns in previous sentences
- Transition words can be used to link ideas from different sentences
Some methods to make sure your paragraph is well-developed:
- Use examples and illustrations
- Cite data (facts, statistics, evidence, details, and others)
- Examine testimony (what other people say such as quotes and paraphrases)
- Use an anecdote or story
- Define terms in the paragraph
- Compare and contrast
- Evaluate causes and reasons
- Examine effects and consequences
- Analyze the topic
- Describe the topic
- Offer a chronology of an event (time segments)