Team Dynamics- Team dynamics refers to the force that inspires or drives a group of people to work collectively for a common cause or objective. A genuine team is a team with different personalities and a common identity. To achieve common identify, good team dynamics is of immense importance. After assembling suitable members for the team, it should be ensured that they are well aware of their roles and responsibilities in relation to the common goal of the team.
Characteristics of ideal team dynamics
The major characteristics of good team dynamics are:
- Presence of a recognized leader before the team begins to function.
- Predetermined common objectives and a planned path or course to achieve these objectives.
- Well determined roles and responsibilities of the team members in relation to the functioning of the team.
Techniques to ensure good team dynamics
Some of the important techniques to ensure good team dynamics are:
- Coaching: Coaching involves helping or coaching a team member on a particular aspect. A leader has to coach his team members to actively participate and contribute positively in the execution of the project. The leader has to subdue dominating members from imposing themselves and encourage hesitant members to express themselves.
- Mentoring: The team leader help the members by solving the general problems that hamper their work and keep them focused on the common goals of the team. Mentoring focuses on overall contribution of the team members whereas coaching focuses on helping a team member on acquiring a specific skill or helping him on a specific task.
- Intervention: A leader has to intervene when there is a conflict in the team. If the conflict is
destructive to team dynamics, he has to find solutions to it. But, if it is constructive he should withdraw and let the team grow.
Group dynamics are always a significant entity of successful Six Sigma Projects. However, the team doesn’t need to be physically together in order to encourage proper group dynamics and teamwork. As team manager, it is your job to show them the options that they have for communication and facilitating the project between members who are in different locations. Make sure that they use these tools to the best of their abilities so that the Six Sigma Team can complete their projects in a timely and efficient manner.
Test Your Six Sigma Black Belt Skills By Taking Our Practice Tests on This Link