Let us discuss the Components of Job Analysis in HR.
It is an important document. It is descriptive in nature. It is useful to identify a job for consideration by job analysis. Important questions to be answered through the job description are:
- What should be done?
- Why it should be done?
- Where it should be done?
There is no universal format of writing job descriptions. According to Ghorpade, the following information is common in most of the job descriptions.
- Job title: title of the job and other identifying information such as wages, salaries, other benefits
- Summary: a summary is written in one or two lines that describe what outputs are expected from job incumbents.
- Equipment: a clear statement of tools, equipment, and other information required to perform job effectively.
- Environment: a clear description of the working conditions of the job, the location and other characteristics of work environment such as hazards, noise, temperature, cleanliness etc.
- Activities: a description about the job duties, responsibilities, and expected behaviour on the job. A description of social interactions associated with the job such as the size of a workgroup, interpersonal interaction on the job is made.
Job analyst writes job description in consultations with the workers and supervisors. After writing draft job description, comments and criticism are invited to improve its content. The final draft is then prepared. Job description is written either by making a personal observation or using a questionnaire to collect relevant information from supervisors and workers. Job descriptions should be reviewed from time to time.
It is also known as man or employee specifications is prepared on the basis of the job specifications. It specifies the qualities required in a job incumbent for the effective performance of the job.
Basic contents of a job analysis specification are as follows:
- Personal characteristics such as education, job experience, age, sex, and extra co-curricular activities.
- Physical characteristics such as height, weight, chest, vision, hearing, health, voice poise, and hand and foot coordination, (for specific positions only).
- Mental characteristics such as general intelligence, memory, judgment, foresight, ability to concentrate, etc.
- Social and psychological characteristics such as emotional ability, flexibility, manners, drive, conversational ability, interpersonal ability, attitude, values, creativity, etc.
Various contents of a job analysis specification can be prescribed in three terms:
- essential qualities which a person must possess
- desirable qualities which a person may possess
- contra-indicators which are likely to become a handicap to a successful job
It is a process of determining the relative worth of a job. It is a process that is helpful even for framing compensation plans by the personnel manager. Job evaluation as a process is advantageous to a company in many ways:
- Reduction in inequalities in salary structure – It is found that people and their motivation is dependent upon how well they are being paid. Therefore the main objective of job evaluation is to have external and internal consistency in salary structure so that inequalities in salaries are reduced.
- Specialization – Because of the division of labor and thereby specialization, a large number of enterprises have got a hundred jobs and many employees to perform them. Therefore, an attempt should be made to define a job and thereby fix salaries for it. This is possible only through job evaluation.
- Helps in the selection of employees – The job evaluation information can be helpful at the time of selection of candidates. The factors that are determined for job evaluation can be taken into account while selecting the employees.
- The harmonious relationship between employees and manager – Through job evaluation, harmonious and congenial relations can be maintained between employees and management so that all kinds of salary controversies can be minimized.
- Standardization – The process of determining the salary differentials for different jobs become standardized through job evaluation. This helps in bringing uniformity into the salary structure.
- The relevance of new jobs – Through job evaluation, one can understand the relative value of new jobs in a concern.
Become Vskills Certified Human Resource Manager. Learn the module “Components of Job Analysis”. Try the free practice test!