Automation Testing Basics
HP QTP uses Visual Basic Scripting (VBScript) for automating the applications. The Scripting Engine need not be installed exclusively as it is available part of the Windows OS. The Current version of VBScript is 5.8 which is available as part of Win 7. VBScript is NOT a object oriented language but a object based language.
QTP is a Functional testing tool which is best suited for regression testing of the applications. It is a licensed/commercial tool owned by HP which is one of the most popular tools available in the market. It compares the actual and expected result and reports the results in the execution summary.
Advantages of Automation Testing
- Developing automated tests using VBScript doesn’t require a highly skilled coder and relatively easy when compared other object oriented programming languages.
- Easy to use, ease of navigation, results validation and Report generation.
- Readily Integrated with Test Management Tool(Hp-Quality Center) which enables easy scheduling and Monitoring.
- Can also be used for Mobile Application Testing.
- Since it is a commercial product by HP, the full support is provided by HP and by its forums for addressing technical issues.
Disadvantages of Automation Testing
- Unlike Selenium, it works in Windows operating system only.
- Not all versions of Browsers are supported and the testers need to wait for the patch to be released for each one of the major versions.
- Having said that it is a commercial tool, the licensing cost is very high.
- Even though scripting time is less, the execution time is relatively higher as it puts load on CPU & RAM.
Apply for Selenium Certification Now!!