Hosting, Software and Hardware Requirements
It is the actualization of a plan, idea, model, design, specification, or policy. In E-commerce, it is actualization of a technical specification or design by web infrastructure (of web server, programming language, presentation graphics, multimedia, etc.) and deployment (consisting of hosting, bandwidth allocation, web storage, etc). Many implementations may exist for a given specification or standard like website as an implementation for different screens of laptop or mobile or tablets.
Web Hosting also called ‘Hosting’ is a service provided by an web space hosting provider or a vendor which offers a physical location for the storage of web pages and files to be accessed over internet. It is similar to a landlord, who rent physical space for commercial or residential use to tenants similarly, web hosting companies provide space on their servers allowing web pages to be viewed on the Internet. For viewing of website by anyone on the Internet at any time, the website should be running on a computer which is connected to the Internet 24 hours per day, 7 days per week (24/7).
There are two types of hosting depending upon whether the maintenance of hosting is done by organization or it is outsourced and is explained as
- Own Hosting – Hosting the website by the user organization means that right equipment, including a web server and a permanent connection to the Internet is needed other than the hardware and network equipment and manpower to manage and maintain it.
- Hosting from Hosting Provider – It is the most common choice for web hosting of using a third party hosting provider thus, outsourcing hardware, networking, bandwidth and manpower related issues thereby allowing the organization to concentrate on developing their website.
Few of the hosting companies are hostgator, godaddy, bigrock, etc. who provide web space in servers usually located in USA as bandwidth cost is low as compared to that in India
A hosting plan is usually a agreement for a time span of providing website hosting related resources by an hosting provider like hosting space in MB, bandwidth, FTP support, etc. usually on a monthly surcharge. Different hosting plans are offered and usually they fall into following categories
- Shared Web Hosting – This is the basic type of hosting where many websites reside on one web server connected to the Internet. Each site “sits” on its own partition, or section/place on the server, to keep it separate from other sites. This is generally the most economical option for hosting, as many people share the overall cost of server maintenance.
- Virtual Dedicated Server – also called as Virtual Private Server (VPS), divides server resources into virtual servers by using virtualization. Customers are sometimes responsible for patching and maintaining the server.
- Dedicated hosting service – In this scheme, the organization gets own Web server and gains full control over it (organization has root access) but, the organization typically does not own server.
- Co-location web hosting service – It is similar to the dedicated web hosting service, but the organization owns the co-located server; the hosting company provides physical space that the server takes up and takes care of the server.