The Indian Customs EDI System (ICES) is now operational at 111 major customs locations handling nearly 98% of India’s International trade in terms of import and export consignments.
Following are the major objectives of ICES:
- Respond more quickly to the needs of the trade
- Computerization of customs related functions including import/export, general manifest control, ex-bond clearance of warehoused goods, goods imported against export promotion schemes, monitoring of export promotion schemes.
- Reduce interaction of the trade with Government agencies
- Provide retrieval of information from other custom locations to have uniformity in assessment and valuation
- Provide management information system for policy making and its effective revenue and
pendency monitoring and
- Provide quick and correct information on import/export statistics to Director General of Commercial Intelligence and Statistics