It is the process of building a website which can encompasses design of web pages using color, graphics, animation, photographs and fonts. A well designed website is helps in turning into a strong marketing tool, by increasing the company’s identity, thus enabling to differentiate from competition and making business succeed in a highly competitive environment. As, people browsing internet, can visit any of hundreds of websites with a mouse click but only an eye-catching and easy to use website make them stay on website for long. Further, an easy navigation and well-organized content can encourage website visitors to stay longer and to come back again and again.
Web design usually refer to the design process relating to the front-end or client side design of a website including writing mark up but, web designing should also take usability and web accessibility guidelines into consideration also.
Web design principles are similar to design principles with differentiation of resultant media being a computer screen or a mobile or a tablet. Few of web design principles includes
- Elegant – Eye-catching yet unobtrusive design with tasteful use of color, graphics, animation, photographs and fonts.
- Functional – Performs business functions it was designed for.
- User-friendly – Well-organized and easily readable content.
- Easy-to-use – Simple and intuitive navigation.
- Balance – It is the idea that large elements on a Web page should be balanced across the centerline or have a large number of corresponding smaller elements around it to keep the design even.
- Contrast – Contrast shows the differences between elements on the page. Big and small, black and white, square and circle – these are all contrasts.
- Emphasis – Emphasis is often called dominance. With emphasis, designers showcase what is of highest priority in the design. Emphasis provides a visual hierarchy for the design.
- Rhythm – Rhythm or repetition is the expression of visual harmony within a design. Repetition and rhythm attract attention in a design and allow the viewer to relax as they recognize the pattern.