Instruction for SafariLauncher Setup
We will now briefly discuss about the instructions for SafariLauncher Setup. Now, the process of running mobile web tests on iOS real devices with iOS 9.3 or below, using Instruments. Moreover, it requires the introduction of a third-party app, SafariLauncher. Because, with the instruments there is no way to start the Safari app on the device.
Also, in some configurations, Appium is able to automatically build, sign, and install SafariLauncher as it needs. However, this is not the case, as it is more often so with later versions of Xcode, the configuration needs to be done before Safari tests on real devices can be successfully run.
Automatic SafariLauncher configuration
For automatic SafariLauncher configuration it is required to create a provisioning profile that can be used to deploy the SafariLauncher App. Moreover, this requires, a wildcard certificate, which is not possible if your Apple developer account is a free one. If that is the case, refer to the manual configuration –
To create a profile for the launcher go into the Apple Developers Member Center
- Step 1: Create a new App Id and select the WildCard App ID option and set it to “*”
- Step 2: Create a new Development Profile and for App Id select the one created in step 1.
- Step 3: Select your certificate(s) and device(s) and click next.
- Step 4: Set the profile name and generate the profile.
- Step 5: Download the profile and open it with a text editor.
- Step 6: Search for the UUID and the string for it is your identity code.
Thereafter, include your UDID and device name in your desired capabilities in the following manner –